Family members

To allow you to maintain your family life even after moving to Germany, a residence permit is granted for family members (subsequent entry). Family members include the spouse and children under 18 years of age. To do this, you must have a permanent settlement permit or a residence permit. You must also have accommodation in Germany which is large enough for you and your family members and have sufficient financial means to be able to care for your family. In addition, your spouse must have basic knowledge of German (level A1 of the Common European Framework for Languages defined by the Council of Europe). For example, he or she should be capable of introducing himself or herself in German or asking for directions. Information on how to demonstrate basic German-language skills can be found on the websites of the visa offices of the German representative bodies abroad.

The residence permit for family members is temporary and includes a work permit that corresponds in scope to that of the partner living in Germany.

You can find further information in the right-hand column on this page. You can also search there for the immigration authorities responsible for your place of residence in the Stuttgart Region.
The team at the Stuttgart Welcome Center will also be happy to provide further assistance.

In order to be entitled to work here, a residence title must expressly permit the holder to carry out gainful employment. You can find information on this under Working/Work permit.


While you and your partner are at work, your children should be well taken care of. Numerous organisations in the Stuttgart Region offer different forms of childcare for this purpose, and you can avail of those services near to where you live.

Day care nurseries

Day care nurseries provide childcare over the course of the whole day or for part of the day. The criteria for deciding on a day care nursery can include for example: location, size, profile, concept, facilities, opening times, ownership (state subsidised or privately funded). Depending on the age of the child, you can choose between the following childcare organisations:

Kinderkrippe (crèche): For children aged 0 to 3 years

The childcare specialists help children in their first learning phase through the use of play. The schedule also incorporates meals, naps and outdoor play appropriate for the child's age. Crèches are provided by the private and public sectors or by the church. Prices vary considerably for each municipality and depending on ownership. In some cases the price depends on the income of the parents.

Kindergarten: For children aged 3 to 6 years

In addition to lots of playing and exercise, kindergartens encourage children to develop their curiosity. For example, small experiments and play-based classes are used to teach children about nature and technology, or they can practice thinking and speaking. Kindergarten generally starts in the morning and ends at lunchtime or in the afternoon depending on the organisation. Kindergartens are offered by local authorities as well as by churches, associations or other private bodies. Like the crèches, prices for kindergarten vary considerably.

The state-run day care nurseries where you live can generally be found on the website of the local authorities. You can find the address using the municipality search in the right-hand column. You can find private providers on the internet for example.

Kindertagespflege (childminder)

This means that a child is taken care of for part of the day or the whole day in the home of the childminder or in another suitable place. Childminders generally take care of other children in addition to your child. This guarantees contact with children of the same age. The average cost for childminders is between EUR 300 and EUR 600 per month for 20 hours per month.

Kinderfrauen/Kindermänner (nanny)

Apart from childminders, there are also nannies in Germany. Unlike childminders, they come to your home to take care of your children. Childminders or nannies are generally not trained childcare specialists. However, they have to be registered with the 'Jugendamt' (youth welfare office) and generally have lots of experience with children.


You can find out about childcare options in your area on the website of your local authorities. You can find the address using the municipality search in the right-hand column. There is a list for the whole of Baden-Württemberg on the webpage for childcare facilities in Baden-Württemberg (Kindertageseinrichtungen in Baden-Württemberg, in German only).

Large companies often have company childcare facilities to take care of children. The HR department of your employer can provide you with information.

There are also often childcare facilities at institutes of higher education. You can find information on your university's website, the office for student affairs or the portal for childcare facilities at institutes of higher education in Baden-Württemberg (Kinderbetreuungsangebote an Universitäten und Hochschulen in Baden-Württemberg, in German only).

The Stuttgart Welcome Center will be happy to give you further assistance.

Landesfamilienpass (state family pass)

This is an offering from Baden-Württemberg's Ministerium für Arbeit und Sozialordnung, Familien, Frauen und Senioren (state ministry of work and social order, families, women and older people). Families permanently resident in Baden-Württemberg can use the pass and the accompanying book of vouchers to visit the state palaces, gardens and museums for free or at a reduced price a total of 20 times per year at present.

Further information as well as the conditions attached are contained on the Ministry's website (in German only). You can apply for the pass at the local authorities where you live. You can find the address using the municipality search in the right-hand column.

The Welcome Service Region Stuttgart (WSRS) is an offering by the Stuttgart Region Economic Development Corporation (Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stuttgart GmbH). The project is funded by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Tourism Baden-Württemberg.