Everyone who lives in Germany must be registered. You must have registered with the 'Einwohnermeldeamt' or 'Bürgerbüro' within no more than a week of moving to Germany. You will need a valid ID to do this. If you live in rented accommodation, you will often also be asked to provide the name of the landlord or to present the lease agreement.

Helpful hint: In some municipalities, the 'Einwohnermeldeamt' is also called the 'Bürgeramt'. In smaller municipalities, registration takes place in the town hall ('Rathaus').

You can find further information in the right-hand column on this page. You can also search there for the 'Einwohnermeldeamt' or 'Bürgerbüro' responsible for the area where you live in the Stuttgart Region.

The Welcome Service Region Stuttgart (WSRS) is an offering in cooperation with the Stuttgart Region Skilled Specialists Alliance (Fachkräfteallianz Region Stuttgart) under the sponsorship of Stuttgart Region Economic Development Corporation (Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stuttgart GmbH). The project is funded by the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Housing Baden-Württemberg.